Reichert objectiv replacment, leica or AO possibly
t***@hotmail.com
2007-09-13 18:36:00 UTC
Is there a knowledgable expert out there that can help a new beginner
in replacing the missing objectives on a Reichert Microstar IV. I have
been having loads of trouble sourcing the objectives that I want and
was hoping that there is an equivilant to the Reichert made by either
Leica or the American objectives that will work as well as the
Reichert.

Apparently Reichert, Leica and American Objectives are or were all at
one time part of the same company.
If anyone knows that there are some of the objectives are
interchangable what woud be the make and catalog number for most
importantly the #1730 2.5X Plan Achromatic, #1731 4x/.10 Plan
Achromatic, and #1732 10X/.02 Plan Achromatic, and for a later date
(when i can afford it) #1733 20x/.50 Plan Achromatic, #1734 40x/.66
Plan Achromatic and #1736 100X oil Plan Achromatic?

The manual states the objectives for the microstar IV listed below are
as follows with # denoting the catalog number...

#1727 10X Plan Flour.
#1728 40X Plan Flour.
#1730 2.5X Plan Achromatic,
#1731 4x/.10 Plan Achromatic
#1732 10X/.02 Plan Achromatic
#1733 20x/.50 Plan Achromatic
#1734 40x/.66 Plan Achromatic
#1736 100X oil Plan Achromatic
#1742 10x/.25 Phase Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1744 40x/.66 Phase Plan Achromatic
#1749 100x/1.25 oil Phase Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1750 10X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)New
#1751 40X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1752 20X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1753 100X Oil Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)
#1754 10X Neo Plan
#1757 40X/.66 Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1758 50X/.80 (oil) Neo-Plan Achromatic

Many thanks for any help

tim
Kevin Cunningham
#1727 10X Plan Flour.
#1728 40X Plan Flour.
#1730 2.5X Plan Achromatic,
#1731 4x/.10 Plan Achromatic
#1732 10X/.02 Plan Achromatic
#1733 20x/.50 Plan Achromatic
#1734 40x/.66 Plan Achromatic
#1736 100X oil Plan Achromatic
#1742 10x/.25 Phase Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1744 40x/.66 Phase Plan Achromatic
#1749 100x/1.25 oil Phase Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1750 10X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)New
#1751 40X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1752 20X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1753 100X Oil Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)
#1754 10X Neo Plan
#1757 40X/.66 Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1758 50X/.80 (oil) Neo-Plan Achromatic
Many thanks for any help
tim
Tim, The next sentences are going to hurt. There is no AO or Reichert
any more. The 410 was the crappiest microscope ever produced by the
hand of man so you don't want any, thats any, AO 410 objectives. The
Reichert plant is just outside Vienna and they don't produce
microscope any more.

Now just to buck you up, you can probably switch the microscope over
to either Olympus or Zeiss objectives. Both brand are infinity
corrected and use the RMS specification for the screw thread. You
will probably have to switch completely over to the new microscope
objective brand for parfocality reasons. Your alternative is the used
market.

There is a repair facility just outside Buffalo, NY that is run by two
ex-AO people, they bought the last stock. I doubt that they have any
objectives though. Try Googling them.

Thanks

Kevin Cunningham
SMS
t***@hotmail.com
2007-09-14 19:06:25 UTC
Thanks Kevin, it may hurt but it is good to know, I was hoping to get
some pictures and have one with a trino head and apperture controll
system hooked up to a modern dSLR and so hopped to get something out
of the setup. It may well be time to cut my losses though :-|.

tim
Victor
2007-09-14 21:59:27 UTC
Sometimes Kevin is right on the money, and sometimes his bias in
microscopes that's based on his years in service creeps up (Seeing
broken or heavily used instruments all day tends to sometimes cloud
the judgement).

While the 410 wasn't a great scope, and mechanically it's made of
fairly cheap materials and construction, it's still a useful
instrument, and they still sit on many pathologists' desks. What I
don't think that Kevin realizes is that there were some *very* nice
objectives made for that instrument. In particular the 10x and 40x
plan fluor were *amazing* objectives, and until the late 90's were
still being hand made in Vienna. The successor of the 410 was
Leica's "ATC2000", any objective from that series will work in the
410.

The 410 uses infinity corrected objectives with an RMS thread size.
You could probably pick up some decent objectives from Meiji, Olympus,
or Zeiss that will work surprisingly well, OR you could luck into some
of those great Vienna Fluors. I cannot stress enough how great those
Fluors were, I would compare them against ANY of today's top
manufacturers' objectives and I suspect they would come out on top.
Call a local microscope company that deals in used instruments and ask
them if it'd be ok to come in and try a few objectives. They should
be happy to help.
Victor
2007-09-14 22:00:52 UTC
Incidentally, the folks that Kevin is talking about is... Cambridge
Scientific, you can reach them at (617) 354-8900
Kevin Cunningham
2007-09-15 13:37:14 UTC
Post by Victor
Incidentally, the folks that Kevin is talking about is... Cambridge
Scientific, you can reach them at (617) 354-8900
Thanks Victor!

Kevin Cunningham
SMS
b***@earthlink.net
#1727 10X Plan Flour.
#1728 40X Plan Flour.
#1730 2.5X Plan Achromatic,
#1731 4x/.10 Plan Achromatic
#1732 10X/.02 Plan Achromatic
#1733 20x/.50 Plan Achromatic
#1734 40x/.66 Plan Achromatic
#1736 100X oil Plan Achromatic
#1742 10x/.25 Phase Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1744 40x/.66 Phase Plan Achromatic
#1749 100x/1.25 oil Phase Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1750 10X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)New
#1751 40X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1752 20X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1753 100X Oil Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)
#1754 10X Neo Plan
#1757 40X/.66 Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1758 50X/.80 (oil) Neo-Plan Achromatic
Many thanks for any help
tim
Two more points: I think AO stands for American Optical (Company),
not American Objectives--this may help in your web searches. At some
points in time, the Spencer Lens Co. and AO merged to form AO Spencer
(long ago); then, AO, Reichert, Leitz, and possibly Cambridge
Instruments, were merged into what is now Leica USA. Also, the AO
Series 10, 110, and 120 were pretty good scopes, infinity corrected,
and their lenses are readily available on eBay and elsewhere. I think
they might work fine on your scope for general use (plan achromats
sell on ebay for $20 - $50 ??).
Good Luck I've had several AO scopes, and think they offer good used
value.

Bob Marable
Tom
2007-09-19 01:22:46 UTC
I have three Reichert objectives. The 10x,40x and 100x oil. They have a
infinity symbol/ 0.17 cover glass thickness. I can send you an email with
pictures if that is OK and you can make an offer. I have a trinocular head
with a place to add a epi illuminator. My Reichert microscope needed too
many repairs. I saved some of the parts.
#1727 10X Plan Flour.
#1728 40X Plan Flour.
#1730 2.5X Plan Achromatic,
#1731 4x/.10 Plan Achromatic
#1732 10X/.02 Plan Achromatic
#1733 20x/.50 Plan Achromatic
#1734 40x/.66 Plan Achromatic
#1736 100X oil Plan Achromatic
#1742 10x/.25 Phase Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1744 40x/.66 Phase Plan Achromatic
#1749 100x/1.25 oil Phase Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1750 10X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)New
#1751 40X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1752 20X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1753 100X Oil Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)
#1754 10X Neo Plan
#1757 40X/.66 Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1758 50X/.80 (oil) Neo-Plan Achromatic
Many thanks for any help
tim
Dr. Georg N.Nyman
2007-09-26 17:07:19 UTC
#1727 10X Plan Flour.
#1728 40X Plan Flour.
#1730 2.5X Plan Achromatic,
#1731 4x/.10 Plan Achromatic
#1732 10X/.02 Plan Achromatic
#1733 20x/.50 Plan Achromatic
#1734 40x/.66 Plan Achromatic
#1736 100X oil Plan Achromatic
#1742 10x/.25 Phase Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1743 20X Plan Phase Achromatic
#1744 40x/.66 Phase Plan Achromatic
#1749 100x/1.25 oil Phase Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1750 10X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)New
#1751 40X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1752 20X Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000) New
#1753 100X Oil Plan Phase Achromatic (ATC2000)
#1754 10X Neo Plan
#1757 40X/.66 Neo-Plan Achromatic
#1758 50X/.80 (oil) Neo-Plan Achromatic
Many thanks for any help
tim
Tim,

I need and want to agree to what Kevin told you - I worked at Reichert in
Vienna for many years in the 80's and have been responsible first for their
application lab and then for marketing and technology - when they still had
been in the business of microscopy.
The 410, which came out of Buffalo is not a good microscope and certainly
not worth upgrading or enhancing - put it onto a shelf in a very private
room and think about it as something which a certain company in Buffalo
called a microscope. Get a good one and enjoy it for many years - Nikon,
Olympus etc.
Best regards
(Prof.Dr.) George Nyman